The ACU is the No 1 organisation for all forms of Motorcycle Sport in the UK with 550 Clubs organising over 3000 events each year & the only Body affiliated to the FIM
Telephone: 01788 566400
About ACU
Contact Us

McLernon wins at Cusses Gorse for the ACU British Quad Championship

Tuesday July 27, 2021 at 3:24pm
McLernon wins at Cusses Gorse for the ACU British Quad Championship

The Waterlooville Motorcycle Club hosted the third round of the ACU British Sidecarcross championships of 2021 at the Cusses Gorse track near Salisbury in Wiltshire.

This week it was a battle for the championship lead with Mark McLernon and Dafydd Davies going into the event on equal points. Mark McLernon took two great wins and now heads the championship.

Race one got underway with a holeshot for Oli Sansom with Mark McLernon blasting ahead on lap one holding on to take his first win of the day. But that was not an easy win he was chased all the way with the top few riders really close throughout. Oli Sansom stayed on his back wheel working hard to find a way past, but Dafydd Davies was also just behind him, and in a determined fight he pushed through to take second, Oli Sansom fought back but had to settle for third. Harry Walker was very close in fourth. A great battle that the crowd loved, leaning over the fence cheering on their favourites.

In race two Harry Walker took the holeshot leaving nothing to chance, leading into lap one with Mark McLernon in second and Oli Sansom third. Behind there was a close race between Dean Dillon and Dafydd Davies, both racing each other, but also trying to move forward to challenge the leaders. Dafydd Davies kept his rival in sight holding fourth. At the half way point, Oli Sansom saw his chance and fought through to take second, but Mark McLernon was having none of it and blasted back past all in one lap, this time the crowd were really loud, shouting on their teams and enjoying the battles. But nobody could be prepared for what happened next, there was a bike was on fire on the track, officials and mechanics came running from all directions with extinguishers, but it was only when a foam blast was used it stopped the flames. A dramatic end to the race.

In the final quad race of the day Mark McLernon lead into lap one, staying ahead and going on to take a great second win. Oli Sansom held second with Harry Walker third and chasing until he picked up a problem with the bike and was left track side. This left Dafydd Davies in third and chasing Oli Sansom for second place. They were side by side lap after lap but at the flag Oli Sansom held the advantage and took a well-deserved second. Dafydd Davies took third from Dean Dillon in fourth.

This puts Mark McLernon at the top of the championship with Dafydd Davies just twelve points behind, with Oli Sansom still hold third with Harry Walker fourth.

Report and Photos by Tracy Thacker
» Categories: Club News, Home Page, Motocross
Auto-Cycle Union Ltd.
ACU House, Wood Street, Rugby.
CV21 2YX.
Telephone: 01788 566400