Monday (3rd August) the Wirral Hundred’s committee, after considering the Welsh Government’s latest Coronavirus lockdown statement of 31st July and after consulting with the Anglesey Circuit, agreed regrettably to cancel the Club’s race meeting scheduled for 29th & 30th August.
This decision comes in the light of current concerns of an increase in Coronavirus in the North West of England and North Wales, but more specifically because of the continuing uncertainty and anomalies over the Welsh Government’s strict Covid-19 lockdown restrictions banning sporting events involving more than 30 people.
The apparent concession by the Authorities, that events at the Anglesey Circuit could take place provided the participants (riders & their families, mechanics, officials, marshals, medics, etc) were split into self-contained and isolated ‘clusters’ of no more than 30 people, was considered unworkable. To put this into context our paddock fraternity usually totals 500-600 people, and we would have had to create 16 to 20 totally standalone clusters (or ‘bubbles’). Apart from the practicalities involved, neither we nor the circuit have the manpower to police such a critical and sensitive arrangement.
The Club has worked tirelessly to make this August meeting happen, with two previous postponements and now this final cancellation. We have completed the ACU’s Covid-19 Risk Assessments and liaised with the circuit over special Covid-19 instructions and procedures regarding social-distancing and PPE, and whilst we are disappointed that the meeting will not now take place, we of course acknowledge that the health and safety of the Welsh residents and visitors is far more important than this single race meeting. However, there seems little doubt that had the meeting been in England, the less stringent lockdown guidelines there, whether wisely or not, would have allowed it to take place.
The Anglesey Circuit is, of course, suffering financially from Coronavirus, and its management shares our frustration and disappointment at this latest cancellation.
Finally, the Club wishes to emphasise that it has every intention of running its race meeting at Anglesey on 10th & 11th October. This will, of course, depend on there being no spike in the pandemic, on an easing of the Welsh Government’s lockdown restrictions applicable to sporting events, and most importantly on the support of our riders, officials and marshals. We hope to be in a position to confirm that the October meeting will go ahead in early September. The Club thanks everyone for their patience and understanding.