The ACU is the No 1 organisation for all forms of Motorcycle Sport in the UK with 550 Clubs organising over 3000 events each year & the only Body affiliated to the FIM
Telephone: 01788 566400
About ACU
Contact Us
[Read the current ACU COVID-19 Statement here]
Due to the current health crisis our offices are closed until further notice. If you have a query, or need to contact us for any reason, please email and it will be forwarded to the relevant department.

Kellett on Fire on 2-Stroke at Penultimate Round

Friday August 9, 2019 at 10:39am
Kellett on Fire on 2-Stroke at Penultimate Round
Last Sunday August 4th the penultimate round of the Point-S South West Masters Championships made its way down to Cornwall to the ever popular Landrake Moto Parc. The track had been watered prior to the meeting and was in prime condition as usual and with a light drizzle in the air early morning it was to produce some excellent racing in all classes.


In the 24MX Expert Championship it was Championship leader Luke Hawkins on the Cheddar Mx Honda who had posted the fastest time in qualifying by some three seconds and had first pick of the gate and he was to use that to great advantage as he had the holeshot from Todd Kellett (Pictured No 998) on the 2-Stroke Dragon Tek/St Blazey Mx Yamaha with Jamie Skuse on the Tony Maunders Racing Suzuki tucked in 3rd. Hawkins was in a real hurry at the front and pulled away abit from Kellett, but the real battle was going on for 3rd as Skuse was being pushed by wildcard Jason Meara from Ireland on the Phoenix Tools Apico Kawasaki who was having his fist ride at this venue. Meara was trying many different lines to get pass, but the battle came to an end on lap 3 when Meara went down and up in to 4th was now Josh Taylor on the DirtWheelz Kawasaki. Meanwhile back at the front Hawkins was still leading, but not pulling away and this stayed the same for a couple of laps until Kellett closed right up and was to leave his breaking a bit later going in to a downhill lefthander and sneaked through in to the lead and went on to take the win from Hawkins with Skuse taking 3rd.


In the second moto it was a bit tight in to the uphill right hander and down went Hawkins with Kellett running in to the back of him and also going down and they were right at the back of the field and it was Skuse who emerged with the lead, but on the second corner Meara shot through on the inside to take the lead. Ben Butler on the Tony Maunders Racing Kawasaki was to lye 3rd for a while, but all eyes were on Kellett who was on a mission and was soon to up with Butler on lap 3 and passed him and was now up in to 3rd with his eyes set on Skuse. By this time Meara had a 4 second lead at the front and was looking good until he got a nasty kick when jumping in to the valley and landed a bit sideways and took a tumble which gifted the lead to Skuse, but all the time Kellett was reeling him in and on lap 6 Kellett forced his 2-Stroke to the front passing Skuse on a fast downhill section and from there went on to take his second win of the day from Skuse with Hawkins coming home in 3rd.


In the last race there was no Meara as he had been taken to Hospital with an arm injury and it was a close encounter at the front in this one between Skuse and Hawkins with Hawkins pipping Skuse in to the second corner to take the lead. Kellett was soon in to 3rd and was all over Skuse towards the end of the opening lap and was to get pass on lap 2 and was soon breathing all over Hawkins which went on for a couple more laps with Hawkins dealing with the pressure, until a slight mistake from Hawkins on lap 5 running abit wide on a right hander left the door open and through went Kellett passing Hawkins at the same place as the opening race leaving his breaking later in to a downhill lefthander and from there went on untroubled and made it a hat trick of wins on the day.   


In the Wulfsport over 35 Championship there was no Championship leader in the shape of Wayne Shimell as he had broken his wrist, so the Championship was set to have a new leader at the end of the day. In the opening race it was the Cheddar Mx Honda of Darren Banwell who currently sits 2nd in the standings who had a blistering start and with a clear track in front of him raced away to take a start to finish win over the Tony Maunders Racing 2-Stroke KTM of James Kensington and the Cheddar Mx 2-Stroke KTM of Ben Harmon.


In moto 2 again it was Banwell who led for most of the opening lap from Kensington, but Banwell got cross rutted trying to close the door on Kensington into a lefthander and went over the handlebars which left him a bit winded and he pulled out. Kensington who was having his first season in the Over 35 class was in fine form and stormed away and took the win by some 15 seconds from Harmon with Mike Burgess taking 3rd.


The last race saw Banwell back and he again hit the front from the off and was soon in to a rhythm at the front from Kensington who had Harmon all over him and it wasn’t long before Harmon passed Kensington and was trying to close on Banwell, but it was too much to ask and Banwell took the win and has now taken the lead in the Championship, Harmon just held on to take 2nd with Kensington 3rd which gave Kensington his first overall on the day and has now moved him up in to 2nd in the standings and trails Banwell by just 4 points with one round remaining.    


In the Wulfsport over 45’s Championship leader Leigh Williams on the J D Racing KTM was to take the overall with two wins and a third with his nearest rival in the Championship David Ford on 2-Stroke Husqvarna winning the other race.


The JCT Developments Junior Championship has really heated up with the Championship taking on a new leader in the shape of Kieran Yorke who just managed to hold off Ben Clayton in the closing stages of the opening race to take the win by the closest of margins, but he wasted no time in hitting the front in the second race and took a comfortable win, but in the last race he had no answer to the leading 2 and it was Clayton who took the win from Louie Kessell with Yorke taking 3rd.


In the Junior B class there was 2 wins for Jonathan Budd with the other win going to Kurt Pugsley


The Junior C class also saw some close racing with jack Napier winning the opening two races but he was denied a hattrick of wins in the last one which was won by Andrew Wright.




1st Todd Kellett (250 Dragon Tek / St Blazey Yamaha) 2nd Luke Hawkins (450f Cheddar Mx Honda) 3rd Jamie Skuse (450f Tony Maunders Racing Suzuki) 4th Josh Taylor (250f Dirtwheelz Kawasaki) 5th Rob Cross (Kawasaki) 6th Kelvin Townsend (450f Tony Maunders Racing Yamaha)



1st James Kensington (250 Tony Maunders Racing KTM) 2nd Ben Harmon (300 Cheddar Mx KTM) 3rd Mike Burgess (450f Kawasaki) 4th Darren Banwell (450f Cheddar Mx Honda) Peter Bulley (350f KTM) 5th Lee Randall-Smith (450f Honda) 6th Peter Bulley (350f KTM)



1st Leigh Williams (450f J D Racing KTM) 2nd David Ford (250 Projuice Husq) 3rd Neil Stephens (450f Yamaha) 4th Richard Tapscott (450f Yamaha) 5th Dean Davies (350f Tony Maunders Racing Husq) 6th Wayne Slater (450f Yamaha)



1st Kieran Yorke (250f Honda) 2nd Ben Clayton (250f Wheeldon Off-Road Centre Kawasaki) 3rd Louie Kessell (250f Kessell Commercials / Judd Racing KTM) 4th Daniel Wade (250f Yamaha) 5th Thomas Townrow (250f KTM) 6th Harvey James (250f Foxhayes Carsales / Wright Racing KTM)



1st Jonathan Budd (Kawasaki) 2nd Corey Hawkins (Kawasaki) 3rd Robert Richards (Husq) 4th Ashley Volts (Yamaha) 5th Daniel Budd (Kawasaki) 6th Ben Bowden (Yamaha)



1st Jack Napier 2nd Andrew Wright 3rd Mark Hoskin 4th Ashley Wigmore 5th Joseph Williams 6th John Turner


Words & Photos by Dave Rich

» Categories: Club News, Home Page, Motocross
Auto-Cycle Union Ltd.
ACU House, Wood Street, Rugby.
CV21 2YX.
Telephone: 01788 566400