The new Southern 100 Race Control was officially opened on Sunday 30th June 2019 by Vanda Nicholson, daughter of the club’s late President, Derek Nicholson, who was instrumental in planning the new facility before his untimely passing on 8th July 2017.
Current President, Phil Taubman MBE, welcomed the invited guests, all of whom had been involved in various ways with the building project – financial, technical, material, services and time and revealed that this was the sixth race control in the races history, the first on the opposite side of the road was the commentary box from Ballacraine in 1955.
Then a Civil Defence wooden hut followed by the green bus, then two Leyland Atlantean Yellow buses.
The fiftieth anniversary year 2005 saw the arrival of two port-a-cabins which served well up to and including 2018 when they were removed after the July races and the present building was erected between November 2018 and May 2019 when it was ready for use at the first of the club’s three road races, the Blackford’s Pre-TT Classic Road Races.
The President then invited Vanda to officially cut the ribbon, which she did after saying a few emotional words and thanking the club for the invite.
Once opened, the guests were invited to a number of conducted tours around the new building, having the new facilities for the races explained to them by Clerk of Course, Peter Oates before or after enjoying a light buffet provided by the Race Control Hospitality Ladies, Tricia and Joan.
During the proceedings, Laurence Skelly MHK, and Minister of the Department for Enterprise presented a silver salver to Southern 100 President Phil Taubman, commemorating the Official Opening, whilst wishing the club continued success with the races in years to come.