The ACU is the No 1 organisation for all forms of Motorcycle Sport in the UK with 550 Clubs organising over 3000 events each year & the only Body affiliated to the FIM
Telephone: 01788 566400
About ACU
Contact Us
[Read the current ACU COVID-19 Statement here]
Due to the current health crisis our offices are closed until further notice. If you have a query, or need to contact us for any reason, please email and it will be forwarded to the relevant department.

Preparing for Brexit Update – 31 January 2020

Friday January 31, 2020 at 10:44am
Preparing for Brexit Update – 31 January 2020
Preparing for Brexit Update – 31 January 2020

The following guidance is for the necessary preparations for the U.K. leaving the EU on 31 January.

What is likely to happen?

The European Commission and U.K. have agreed that the  U.K. will leave the European Union on 31 January 2020. We are awaiting specific information from the U.K. government to advise in more detail than the below and it is advised that you check with the relevant national association well in advance of your event as to changes or requirements which affect you.

Consequently the status of all individuals will remain subject to EU rules until  31st December 2020. As such your rights will remain unaffected during this time, and for all events after 31 January 2020 nothing changes.

Individual and small teams travelling to events after 31 December 2020 should be aware of the key changes following the anticipated UK departure from the European Union.

So what in particular do I need to think about after December 2020?:

Personal Health Insurance. It is planned that the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will continue to operate after the end of transition, but nothing has been finalised and we recommend individual personal health insurance at all times in any case

Green Cards

Passports (post meeting research shows that passports need to have a minimum of 6 months validity and be less than 10 years old).

International Driving Permits.

And do remember that all vehicles will need to display a GB sticker.

Transition Period

There will be a transition period until 31 December 2020 once the UK has left the EU.

This is to permit time for negotiations on the future UK-EU relationship.

There is potential for the transition period to be extended by one or two years, and during this time EU law still applies to the UK - meaning citizens' rights and guarantees remain, including the use of EHIC cards.

As indicated above, travel arrangements, holidays, and the use of the EHIC card between 31 January and 31 December, 2020 will remain unaffected.

But going forward, a deal has yet to be secured.

FIM / ACU medical and repatriation insurance will as normal cover the riders at an event but riders, team members or family should have travel insurance for other problems that could arise.


Will I be able to travel to the EU without a visa?

Until the 31st December 2020, arrangements regarding free movement will continue as now. After that we anticipate international norms will apply, with free movement for 90 days in any 180 days for business (meetings & conferences) and tourism. The situation regarding visas or permits has yet to be finalised

Sport should therefore be largely unaffected including the movement of support staff where salaried in the UK but if persons are salaried from within the EU this may not be so.

Longer stays and other business activities will be subject to individual states immigration rules.

Coaching Overseas might be subject to the coach requiring a visa.

Will my current UK health care insurance be sufficient for travel?

Please check with your healthcare provider to see whether you are covered in Europe, as you may need to take out further insurance to provide the necessary cover.

Will my current Green card be sufficient?

UK drivers will require more documentation to drive on EU highways, particularly with regard to Green Cards, and this includes Ireland.

In addition, a Green Card is required for each trailer or caravan in addition to the tow vehicle.

Will I need an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

IDPs may be required for travel. The GOV.UK pages shows that there are 3 different IDPs and different requirements for neighbouring EU states and although the majority remain unaffected a 1948 IDP will be required for travel in France.

Arrangements with Ireland are not affected and existing ease of travel between the UK and Ireland remains as is provided the stay is for no longer than 12 months.

What about my equipment which needs to come with me?

As per the requirement for Green Cards see above.

We draw members attention to the following sites for further guidance:

Auto-Cycle Union Ltd.
ACU House, Wood Street, Rugby.
CV21 2YX.
Telephone: 01788 566400